During the 1980s the steel plants’ production needed the integration of elements such as additives and inoculants to improve the metal treatment process.
After a little while iron foundries themselves, producing nodular iron castings, identified the same necessity for ladle treatment of cast iron.
The state of the art regarding the ladle treatment methods though has developed over the years from the Sandwich ladle treatment method to the Tundish ladle treatment method and finally to the Cored wire treatment method.
CORED WIRE METHOD
In the last few years the Cored wire treatment method has represented the latest innovation in terms of cast iron treatment processes. Such system distinguishes itself from previous methods because:
- It guarantees bath homogeneity. Thanks to the feeding of a cored wire – containing the exact chemical composition – directly inside the ladle, the magnesium reaction happens repeatedly at the bottom of the ladle once ladle has been filled with liquid cast iron.
- It ensures control on the alloy quantity inserted in the bath, keeping constant the amount of cored wire injected in the ladle.
- It allows to monitor each treatment cycle thanks to an integrated automation – time and injection speed of the cored wire controlled by a dedicated software, storage of preconfigured settings of cored wire specifics and treatment specifics for treatments’ repeatability, storage of all treatment cycles for production traceability
- It ensures the minimum impact of the fumes generated during treatment time thanks to a dedicated hood aspiration.
- It allows the use over a long period of time of the same treatment ladle as it guarantees again high reproducibility of the treatment processes.
Up to today the Cored wire treatment method represents the most advanced, inexpensive and ecological system used for nodular cast iron production, compacted graphite iron production as well as the most complete system used for SPHEROIDIZATION, INOCULATION, PEARLITIZATION treatments.
PLANNING AND REALIZATION OF LADLES
In view of demanding clientele in this sector, DUEDI has realized a building system of ladles totally removable.
The main advantages of this newest type of ladle are multiple, especially in the maintenance and the security sectors.
In particular in the maintenance area:
- All parts of ladle are totally removable
- Shorter maintenance time is needed because all parts are bolted
- Many parts can be re-used
- The total maintenance can be realized by all customers autonomously
- The driving trunnion and the idler trunnion can be removed from the body of ladle
- Simple maintenance for all customers
- Worm-screw and gear wheel are always fixed
- Highest safety is guaranteed for all users during the various operating phases
- Highest productivity, flexibility, reliable and accurate pouring mode are guaranteed by wireless radio control
- In case of power failures of the gearmotor, it’s easily possible to switch from automatic to manual mode (steerling wheel) in maximum 10 seconds
Every ladle’s sizes are always adaptable to the factory customer layout and for every ladle we can supply the all certifications (mechanical certification, capacity certification, welding certification and CE certification).
THERMAL ANALYSIS OF CAST IRON – TCAST
Each iron foundry distinguishes itself for its own casting production, using its own peculiar alloys’ composition. Such alloys’ composition can vary depending on the material and the specific requirements of the clientele.
Moreover, depending on how the metal is metallurgically treated, the same properties of the cast iron can vary significantly.
Given such particular needs, it becomes most of the times necessary to analyze the fundamental characteristics of the cast iron such as the macro and micro structure and the mechanical properties.
Such characteristics can be studied by determining the heat flow, the chemical composition, the microalloyed and the impurities, the metallurgical processes carried close to the furnace or directly in ladle and finally the inoculation methods currently in use in the foundry.
Taken into consideration such contingencies, our company has decided to develop TCAST, a dedicated software for thermal analysis of cast iron.
What is a thermal analysis software for cast iron?
TCAST represents today the most advance tool to conduct a specific analysis of the solidification process of cast iron.
Such tool allows to verify real time the quality of cast iron and to provide the necessary information to promptly improve it.
What does TCAST calculate?
TCAST calculates and registers the cooling curve and its first derivative from the eutectic reaction to the eutectoidic transformation.
Key temperatures and key parameters necessary for the qualitative analysis of cast iron are immediately elaborated and displayed on TCAST.
The parameters are exclusively based on the foundry specific data to verify how good your alloys are, given the type of cast iron you want to produce.
What are the advantages in installing and implementing TCAST?
The qualitative analysis done in the foundry of all types of cast iron (grey iron, ductile iron, high-alloy cast iron, austempered ductile iron) allows to monitor and correct in real time the related production. The qualitative control done at the beginning of the production process allows to reduce as much as possible the production time and the possible scraps when forming the final casting.
The real time control of the qualitative analysis from anywhere inside the foundry is made possible by the connection of the software to the company web service. Such connection allows the monitoring and the correction in real time of the current production directly from the foundry laboratory or qualitative department.
The transfer of all data related to the analysis, the centralized storage of all data, the possibility to conduct advanced statistical analysis on such data and to elaborate specific report of each analysis allow to enhance even more the control and the monitoring of the quality of the cast iron over time and to provide a greater guarantee of the quality of cast iron produced for the final client.
The guaranteed remote technical assistance (metallurgical assistance and software assistance) allows the foundry to be assisted each step of the way when integrating the thermal analysis in its quality control process.
If interested in learning more, get in contact with us to:
ASSIST TO A FREE LIVE DEMONSTRATION OF THE MAIN SOFTWARE FUNCTIONALITIES BY SCHEDULING A SKYPE CONFERENCE
ASSIST TO A FREE DEMONSTRATION OF THE MAIN SOFTWARE FUNCTIONALITIES DIRECTLY IN YOUR FOUNDRY
(Kindly provide us your location to inform you whether or not such service is available in your area)
OLEODINAMYC FOUNDRY WEDGE
DUEDI designed a robust and reliable breaker machine that is easy to handle. The device is used to break feeders and ingate systems and it consists of a wedge which is moved by hydraulic system.
The main advantages of DUEDI’s Hydraulic wedge are as follows:
- ERGONOMIC design: it rotates in every direction without any strain on the operator due to position of center of gravity.
- QUICK and EASY TO USE: this specific wedge is durable and can be replaced quickly without tools.
- POWER: it can remove almost any feeder or ingate system and provides high productivity (high number of spreading cycles per minute). Another our important feature is that the tool provides clean predictable cuts, guaranteeing that feeders and risers break off in a controlled manner.
- SAFETY: the system is consisting of a full protection cover and two-handed operation that greatly limits the chance of accidents.
- QUALITY AND RELIABILITY: made of high-quality materials, like every DUEDI’s product, and is designed for durability, long operational and working life.
- FLEXIBILITY: it can be used in different kinds of processes. Thanks to the shape of the front protection panels, the slides can be used for their full length, greatly increasing the working range.
- MANAGEABILITY: this machine is designed for heavy duties and the ergonomic joystick gives perfect control of its movements. The handle has a symmetric design and allows left-handed operators to use the system without problem.
Maintenance services of DUEDI company is including a wide range of services we provide for current systems and equipment in foundries. With the help of engineering and mechanical departments, the company is capable of custom design and manufacturing of spare parts for various existing machines, plants and equipment such as existing ladles, etc. Moreover only DUEDI company is able to offer the retrofitting of new devices on old ladles is possible with custom design and manufacturing of new systems specifically for each equipment.
Metal casting is an extremely energy-intensive process. As such, energy expenditures can account for a large portion of the cost of a casting. To provide high-quality casting, our degreed manufacturing and metallurgical engineers use their expertise to analyze customer requirements to determine the best methods for increasing casting quality. By analyzing melt quality, we can identify problem areas before your castings are produced, which enables us to develop effective and efficient manufacturing processes, reduce lead times and ensure consistent quality. DUEDI’s Process Engineers create, set specifications, develop, implement and monitor your casting with appropriate equipment and processes as part of the manufacturing system. DUEDI can design innovative processes and equipment for a new facility or modification and optimization of equipment and processes that are already in place in foundries.
These tasks can include:
- Research and development of new equipment (this can include design responsibilities).
- Monitoring of equipment – including regular testing and ensuring maintenance tasks are carried out.
- Oversight of processes and working to maintain optimization of the production line.
- Assisting Process Technicians in troubleshooting in the event of a problem.
- Data collection, interpretation and report writing.
- Installation of new equipment.
- Risk assessments of the equipment and processes being used.
- Continual evaluation of equipment and processes efficiency and quality.
- Cost effectiveness of production.
- Use of simulation software in the development of new processes.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Our R&D department is ready to design and develop new systems for foundries to increase their productivity by reducing casting time and overall costs. According to needs of the foundries in their manufacturing process, DUEDI can design and manufacture innovative systems that can fulfil safety requirements.
The design procedure for the new systems is flexible and can adopt each foundry working situation and needs. Our R&D engineers are in direct contact with process engineers in foundries for designing systems in accordance with their needs.
The range of products that could be designed and manufactured specifically for each company is consisting but not limited to:
- Custom design and development of Coating and drying units based on casting process.
- Customized ladles with various pouring systems depending on the condition of casting.
- Motorized dosing systems for adding alloying elements to ladles.
- Weighing units for alloying elements.